Sunday 22 March 2015

Between The Cracks - Week 4

Between The Cracks is a new blog meme that is now on it's 4th week. The meme was started by Shaz over at Jera's Jamboree and each week you identify a book that has fallen between the cracks on your To Be Read shelf. You can read more about the meme here

This week to help me narrow down my choices I went to page 22 of my TBR shelf on Goodreads, 22 because today is the 22nd. This narrowed my selection just a little bit but there was one book that really stood out and that book 
was ......


A Killing In The Hills by Julia Keller

This book has been on my TBR since June 2012 when I was successfully approved by the publisher on Netgalley. At the time it was very high up my list of books I really wanted to read as it was book one of a new crime series. I do love a good crime series and by all accounts this one featuring Bell Elkins is supposed to be pretty good.

It also has a tag line from one of my favourite crime authors, Karin Slaughter. I've read a few books that Karin has recommended & I've always enjoyed them.

But for one reason or another I just have never gotten around to reading it. I even have copies of books 2 & 3 on my Kindle as well.

Hopefully by mentioning it on the blog today will raise it back nearer the top of my TBR pile.


About The Book

In A Killing in the Hills, a powerful, intricate debut from Pulitzer Prize-winning journalist Julia Keller, a mother and a daughter try to do right by a town and each other before it's too late.

What's happening in Acker's Gap, West Virginia? Three elderly men are gunned down over their coffee at a local diner, and seemingly half the town is there to witness the act. Still, it happened so fast, and no one seems to have gotten a good look at the shooter.  Was it random? Was it connected to the spate of drug violence plaguing poor areas of the country just like Acker's Gap? Or were Dean Streeter, Shorty McClurg, and Lee Rader targeted somehow?One of the witnesses to the brutal incident was Carla Elkins, teenaged daughter of Bell Elkins, the prosecuting attorney for Raythune County, WV. Carla was shocked and horrified by what she saw, but after a few days, she begins to recover enough to believe that she might be uniquely placed to help her mother do her job.

After all, what better way to repair their fragile, damaged relationship? But could Carla also end up doing more harm than good—in fact, putting her own life in danger?

1 comment:

  1. Sounds intriguing Sam.

    I like that there's another layer with Bell and Carla too.

    Hope it gets nearer the top of the TBR :)
    Shaz

    ps love the way you chose your BtC book this week!

    ReplyDelete