Sunday 6 July 2014

Review: The Wicked Girls by Alex Marwood

****  4 Stars

I was lucky enough to meet Alex Marwood at an event I organised for Hillingdon Library Service at the Compass Theatre back at the beginning of June. She took part in our Girls' Night Out event as part of Ickenham Festival Week along with Rowan Coleman, Jenny Colgan & Lisa Jewell. Alex gave a wonderfully gripping reading from her new book 'The Killer Next Door' that left the audience on a real cliffhanger and I know that many rushed out to buy the book from the bookseller including my 18 year old daughter. Alex was fantastic to meet in real life and I can't wait to see what she comes up with next. Here is my review of her first book 'The Wicked Girls' which one an Edgar award.

I've had this book in my Kindle forever but have just never gotten around to reading it. I was lucky to get a copy of Alex Marwood's second book 'The Killer Next Door' as an ARC & finished that a few weeks ago. I loved that book so much & it is probably one of the most gruesome books I have ever read so having finished it & knowing I'm meeting the author next week I dove straight into The Wicked Girls. 

I really wish I hadn't put off reading it for so long as it us a wonderful book, a well written look at how two 11 year old girls lives are changed when they are accused of the murder of a 4 year old girl & how they both end up following different paths because of it.

 The book started off slow with the present day scene being set & the characters being introduced. We learn very early on that Amber & Kirsty are the wicked girls from 25 years ago but both of them are trying to move on with their lives. They are then thrown back together under extraordinary circumstances when a serial killer is on the prowl in Amber's home town & Kirsty now a journalist goes along to investigate. The book is full of suspense & builds to a gripping finish. A real page turner & Marwood is now firmly on my must read author list

No comments:

Post a Comment